The Internet is nowadays the basic needs of every human. All the Office, Corporate buildings, Government Buildings have established LAN/WAN Connections and surfing the internet using Wi-Fi via Router but sometimes poorly secured Wi-Fi connection can put your personal data at Risk and can be hacked by Hackers. There are many reasons for a security breach. Every router has their default IP Address, Username, and Password which are very easy to hack because when you search for Username and Password for any specifical router you can get a list of all.
It’s necessary to change/configure default Settings of your Wireless router before you use to surf the internet. So in this post, we are going to discuss How you can Change/Setup any Wi-Fi router with the help of ethernet port (Here we will take TP-Link Router Example).
How to change TP-Link Router Password?
If you have completely lost the password that you set and need to set the router back to its factory default password, then you need to follow these steps:
- In the first step, You need to open your Wi-Fi-configuration page on web-browser. (You need to connect your Router with your computer via Ethernet Cable because you can’t connect it via Wi-Fi password). If you don’t know your Router address then you can try standard router address: 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1 (TP-Link), 192.168.2.1, or 10.0.1.1 (Apple) or 10.0.0.1 (Xfinity).
- Find Router IP Address: In case if you can’t find Login using above IP Addresses then simple open CMD (Command Prompt- by WINDOWS+R Key an type cmd). Now type ipconfig. Now you can see Default Gateway Address (See the image) this is typically your router address. You can also find your Router address on the specific model’s manual given on the box or on the internet.
- Login Using UN & PW: Now on the login page enter Username and password. (If you have never changed your Username and Password then generally your Username will be “admin” and your Password will be “admin” as well, but generally it varies from router’s company and models. In our case both are same)
- In case if you don’t know your ID & PW or you forgot your password you need to PRESS and HOLD the RESET KEY (Given back side of the Router) for approx 20-30 seconds. It will reset your entire settings and configuration. After that, you can use General Username and Password given above for Login.
- Change SSID Name: In case if you want to change your SSID Name then on the Wireless Tab given in the Left side of the screen, click on Wireless Settings. As you can see in the Wireless Network Name I have Entered my Desire SSID Name that Everyone can see. (You can check out these list of Best and Clever Wireless SSID Names)
- Change SSID Password: Now to change the Password Open Wireless Security Tab (As shown in the above Tab). There are three main types of wireless encryption: WEP, WPA, and WPA2. Among all WPA2 is the most secure. Now Enter your Desire/New Password in the Wireless Password Tab as shown in the above figure. (Make your password strong by using a combination of Numbers, Letters, and some special characters)
- After setting up password Hit SAVE tab to save your configuration and You are Done.
TP-Link Router’s IP Address List
|Router Details||Default IP Address|
|TP-Link TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router||192.168.1.100|
|TP-Link TL-WR340G Wireless WR340G||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router Wireless AC750 Dual-Band Gigabit ARCHER C2||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TL-R860 10/100Mbps 8-Port Cable/DSL Router||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router Wireless-N Router TLWR941NDV6||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router TGR1900BLK||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router Wireless-N Ceiling-Mount||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router Archer C8 AC1750 Dual Band||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TL-SG1005D 10/100/1000Mbps 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Archer C9 Wireless AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TL-R4199G Details||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router Archer C7 AC1750||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TL-SG1016 10/100/1000Mbps Unmanaged 16-Port Gigabit Switch||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TL-WR720N Wireless Router||192.168.1.10|
|TP-Link Archer C5 AC1200 Dual-Band with 4-Port Ethernet Switch||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router Google OnHub Dual-Band Wireless-AC Gigabit Router||10.1.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TL-WA901ND Wireless N300 Access Point, 300Mbps, Multifunction, Multiple SSID||192.168.1.10|
|TP-Link Router Archer C3200 Wireless-AC Tri-Band Gigabit Router||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TL-WA801ND Wireless N300 Access Point, 300Mbps, Multifunction, Multiple SSID||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TL-WR1043ND Wireless Router||192.168.1.100|
|TP-Link Router TD-W8950ND Wireless Router||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TL-WR940N, 3 External antennas, IP QoS, WPS Button Wireless N300 Home Router||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router Archer C2600 Wireless-AC Dual-Band Gigabit Router||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router||192.168.1.1|
|TP-Link Router TP-LINK TL-WR841N 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps/ 1Wireless N Broadband Router||192.168.1.100|
|TP-Link Router TP-LINK Portable 3G/3.75G IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11g IEEE 802.11b Wireless N Router (TL-MR3020)||192.168.1.100|
|TP-Link Router TL-WR720N Wireless N150 Router 150Mbps, Internal Antenna, IP QoS||192.168.1.1|
Now you can Logout and To test whether your new password is working well try to re-login using New Password.
So, I hope you all get a good idea about How to change Router’s SSID Name and Password from the above steps given with illustrations. Here we have taken an example of TP-Link Brand which I am using personally. But if you are using some other brand’s router than still the most of the process is same but sometimes login ID and Password will vary. After reading these steps If you have any doubts then please let me know in the comment section and I will answer all as soon as possible. Have a Great Day all.